Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I just returned from Alaska. Arrived yesterday morning after flying all night. I went up to help Alaska Wildland Adventures celebrate their 30th Anniversary. It was a quick trip, but so much fun. We hiked, consumed wonderful food, caught up with old friends and did what Lizzards do.

But the thing that really made the lightbulb go off in my head was the fall colors. When I arrive with my marbled fabric at various shows, I always get asked how I come up with my colors. Well, now I realize how much Alaska and the natural enviroment have influenced the colors I have created. Bright yelow is the birch and aspen trees in their glorious fall colors. Emotion red is the bear berry and fireweed in their fall colors. As I looked around me the list just kept growing.

It was fun to again see the excitement that nature can inspire. A bunch of us were sittting around the campfire chatting and telling stories when one of the fishguides comes up and say "there's a brown bear in Juneau Creek". The camp fire was empty in 30 seconds or less as we all skipped down to the river to see the bear. I'm not sure who was more excited the little children (ages 1 1/2 to 3) or the big kids (ages 30 to 70). I have seen tons of bears but I am always happy to see one more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home