Thursday, January 18, 2007

I have just been reading an article in the magazine Cloth Paper Scissors entitled For Love or Money? The question was posed "Would you rather sell a piece of art that you were not completely happy with for a grand sum, or make a piece that you thought was the perfect expression of their artistry, and never receive any reward except personal satisfaction?"

The question really made me think of the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I have learned that just because I am not happy with a piece (art quilt, wearable or marbled fabric) doesn't mean someone else will not Love it. It never fails to surprise me when a piece of marbled fabric I'm not happy with is the one I find people fighting over. I love creating and consider it a huge bonus that others will pay money for my creations. And I'm not sure that any given piece will ever be that 'perfect expression of my artistry". I hope to always be learning, growing and creating. My goal is to learn something new with each creation and if it needs to be tweaked somewhere in the future, so be it.

Have fun creating!

1 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger donna said...

Nice post. I just was discussing something similar on Helium.com on the imperfection in crafts and how sometimes I'm not happy with a project but someone else loves it. Sometimes I need to let go of the perfectionist.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home